Dreams and Goals #1 : Photography.

07:23

 
Ideally, I would love to become a professional photographer of anything and everything. I found a couple years ago that I quite liked to take pictures and began taking ones from different perspectives and angles, starting with my iPod, then my mom's digital camera, then mu iPhone and now my very own DSLR. The fact that I now have my own proper camera makes me want to be a photographer even more. I love taking creative photos and editing the colours and showing friends and family and hearing them admire and appreciate the moment I've captured. I'm fascinated by photography. How cameras work and how printed photographs hold a memory for a life time. There's nothing that I don't enjoy about photography, except maybe when I can't figure out which setting is best or the image is blurred/out of focus.

My college know I enjoy photography so recently asked me to take some photos of a senior tea party, a little event for a small group of elderly people who we entertain for an hour or two. The head of sixth form and the teacher running the "party" said that the past few times the photos have been bad so no pressure. I still enjoyed it anyway, though I wasn't too confident with a different camera and people watching me, both my own age and older, there was a bit of pressure but I feel some photos I took were alright.

Work experience is coming up soon and I'm so nervous about meeting new people and interacting with them, I'm keen to learn the ropes on a professional level. I don't know much about manual photography either so hopefully I will learn so much about my camera and others while I'm at my placement in town. I have no idea how I'm going to get there or what to wear or what to say or what to do but I hope that I will quickly become relaxed and friendly with the team there so that I can show them my potential and passion for photography. Who knows, they may even welcome me back after I've secured my creative A levels for a paid job. My sixth form doesn't host photography as an A level and me being socially awkward and anxious I didn't want to venture out to another sixth form/college to learn photography and make new friends - turns out the greatest friends I'd ever know were right where I am now.

I don't quite know how I'm going to become a successful photographer but I know that I really want to achieve that, so I will try at anything. I will venture out of my comfort zone with camera in hand if that's what it takes. I study media and art so I'm sure that will come in handy for photography as I'm aware that it's not just about taking snaps of pretty moments, there's set ups to deal with in order to take the pretty picture and marketing to let people know that you take pretty pictures so they can pay you to take more. Maybe English literature will help too.

I know that I wouldn't like a desk job. I mean I'd love a desk to work on at home but I would not like to be sat doing meaningless tasks for a living. I want to explore and take interesting photos and earn my money for stepping outside. Something I was known for not doing as a child. I'm not too keen on the idea of university either. Living in a hall fending for yourself and going to long lectures about subjects isn't appealing to me, though I understand it's an "experience", I'm not sure it's one I would like to try, and I don't want to force it and have to drop out. I'd love to have a creative job because I'm a creative person, I always have been. I'm not good at maths or science or anything relative to that, I just don't understand it even when I'm getting it right, I don't know what I'm doing. Creativity comes naturally to me and you don't necessarily have to understand all the cogs within it.

I'm not a confident socialite, but I'm reminding myself that this work experience placement may help me massively so that I can make something out of this hobby. My mom taught me since forever that it's important to do a job you love because then it's worth it in the end and you don't mind when things go wrong because you can make up for it tomorrow, and you will want to go again tomorrow after a bad day because you love what you do. "If you do a job you love, you'll never have to work a day in your life". It's taken me years to find a hobby that I adore, and one that could make me an income is exciting.

Cheerio loved ones - Beky x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Labels

recent posts