Making Revision More Bearable

00:02


Hey hey hey. This one's for my fellow students, as I assume like myself you are being driven insane by a mass of homework and revision - all to prepare for exams on the horizon. (if you listen closely you can hear me screaming)

Although (finally) in my last year I hold no strong voice on how to revise. Nobody really does. It's all down to each individual and what kind of learner you are for which revision technique will work best for everyone. Here's a test so you can find out what kind of learner you are. I'm a visual learner which made perfect sense as I often picture my notes when I'm not allowed to physically have them in front of me.

A very popular technique is making or buying index cards and putting the most important notes onto them to review and remember. My friends and I use a lot of coloured pens and highlighters but the layout of the facts is all up to you but remember, it's absolutely not all about the aesthetics of the cards but the clarity of the information on them.

Teachers always tell me the best methods that research says to use when revising. Read at least 6 times, read aloud, re-write and repeat. Get friends and family to test you - especially ones who aren't in your class and have no idea what you're even studying. Apparently the best way to study is 20 minutes at a time with 5 minute breaks. But if you're like me you just get in the zone and power on longer than 20 minutes, however, you must take breaks. Not only to let the information absorb into your memory for a bit but also to slow down form powering into stressville.

As well as using index cards try to transfer your notes onto larger sheets - one friend of mine loves going as big as A3. If you find it difficult to remember tons of new study notes, mind maps may be the key to improving your memory. The theory behind mind mapping explains that making associations by connecting ideas helps you to memorise information easier and quicker.

If you are revising and like to listen to music to fill the void of everlasting silence, play some music without a beat as it doesn't distract you from reading, writing and obtaining the information. Although we all love to sing and tap along, if we're focusing more on the lyrics and the beat, we're not focusing on the information we so desperately rely on to pass. Oh how I hate being tested on memory rather than my actual intelligence.

For more revision tips and some giggles read this. And please sense the hint of sarcasm in some bullet points and don't take it all too seriously, especially number 5!

And remember - if you feel yourself going mad or actually start having breakdowns (it's okay, we've all cried over one subject or two all of them, literally every single one all the time) take the day off. No matter the deadline, take an hour or an afternoon off, I mean who can revise and memorise stuff when you're losing the plot?


Cheerio loved ones, and good luck with your exams - Beky x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Labels

recent posts