S is for School and Stress

05:11


I very nearly simply titled this post "aaarghh" but opted for a nice bit of alliteration instead. Hello you beautiful people and how are you this fine Saturday? I'm never one to shy away from voicing my dislike for the education system, although in polite company I simply say "I'm just sick of it, I want something new." And I do want something new to do with my life, as much as that terrifies me, I don't want to sit in a room with an adult for hours a week listening to information I then have to memorise and write down as my class mates sit in rows either side of me in a large silent room. No more of that please and thank you.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who links strong negative thoughts and words to school/college/sixth form. The only good thing about it is the odd banterous teacher and friends. And even then many teachers are grumpy, demanding and patronising. And many students are annoying, judgemental and loud. Don't get me wrong I love seeing my best friends nearly every day, they bring me out to my best and we have all the fun but it's generally very stressful when you realise what you're forced to do with your life and its all you remember ever doing.

And everyone says it will be easy, "the best years of your life" - and that seriously worries me because throughout school I've had the worst moments in my life so far. Toxic friendships, dark thoughts and a parental bereavement to top it all off! Although I have myself an incredible friend from primary school, secondary school and a few from sixth form who I want to keep close for all eternity, and not to mention the greatest work experience ever, there's not much all fantastic about school for me and I cannot wait to leave. While at the same time, I'm scared of launching into something new. So scared I've been procrastinating finding that something new - I'll work on that this weekend I promise!

First week back at half term hasn't been much different, although my nemesis subject of art is seeming to be bearable right now, what with my teachers backing off a tad after an email from my dad and a week off they are refreshed - unlike me who worked non stop. Other than that, it's still full steam ahead towards exam day, both seeming like days and years away. I constantly worry about a lot of things, like not having enough money, not having enough time to complete homework or revision or having a social life or even some alone time. And in every possible aspect, not being good enough.

I worry my work isn't good enough most of all. My blog posts, my homework, my class notes, my photography. Even sometimes if my instagram posts or tweets aren't "insta-worthy" enough or aesthetic enough or funny. I know I shouldn't and it's silly but hey, that's how I've always been.

Working out what triggers stress for you can help you anticipate problems and think of ways to solve them. Even if you can't avoid these situations, being prepared can help. Making some adjustments to the way you organise your time could help you feel more in control of any tasks you're facing, and more able to handle pressure. Make a list of things you have to do, arrange them in order of importance, and try to focus on the most urgent first. Try not to do much at once and take breaks, take it slowly - which is difficult when you feel stuck for time and your mind is all over the place but you have to take it easy to overcome all the stress in the long run.

I break things down and prioritise them, I work up to the more difficult larger tasks but I do the ones that have the closest deadline first. That way I have as much time possible to not have to worry about it after it's done, and more time to work on the other things. Taking steps to look after your wellbeing can help you deal with pressure and reduce the impact that stress has on your life. Here are some tips on how you can "develop resilience" and "bounce back" from difficult times.

Feel free to comment below and share your own tips of how you deal with stress, or if anything I've offered here has been helpful to you. I wish you all a happy and stress-free Saturday.


Cheerio loved ones - Beky x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Labels

recent posts