Packing for a Photography Adventure

07:05

Aloha good people and how are you? The cold is starting to set in here in England so a duvet cocoon is a much more common occurrence for me. Next week however, I shall be emerging from said cocoon to be a-travelling over the English channel, unfortunately not to somewhere warmer but to Paris. I shall be travelling with some of my university class to go to Paris Photo, a must see annual event for photographers and I am so excited to get away from every one and every thing for a bit, be inspired by a massive exhibition and take a wander around the city taking a shit ton of photos, I am so excited I keep forgetting about the language I had so much trouble with at school.

Any way I thought for this blog post I would show you how I pack, and more specifically how I shall organise myself for this photography based trip, which I hope is the first of many more...


  1. CHECK THE ESSENTIALS! Check your passport hasn't expired and your ticket is someplace safe (I keep these in this mint green travel wallet from TK Maxx), check the weather forecast so you can pack the most appropriate and comfortable clothes, check if you need power adaptors and check your itinerary so you know what you're doing and when so you can take full advantage of being away.
  2. KEEP ALL YOUR VALUABLES CLOSE! If you're embarking on a photography trip you will have more to care for of course, it may be worth getting your kit insured to be sure. Keep it all with you and leave as little in the hotel room as possible, and continually check your bags and pockets throughout the day to be sure you haven't fallen victim to pick-pocketed at some point.
  3. THINK AHEAD! I for one have a little instargam and pinterest search to trigger my inspiration ahead of time so I have an idea of places that would be nice to take photos of which I could take myself to, or at least to keep my excitement bubbling away. Again, when you check your itinerary you'll know when you have time to spare to scarper off and grab some snaps, alternatively, where your snaps will be restricted to for however many hours until the schedule frees up. Luckily we are visiting Paris Photo for one day out of four so there is plenty of time to explore Paris or other exhibitions.
  4. LISTS! I don't usually write lists but when I do, I mean business, business which cannot have any forgetfulness which I am so often prone to. Write lists of what you need, write it again in organised groups of clothes (pants, socks, coats) to toiletries (medicines, glasses, soaps and creams), and once more in order of importance (passport and money down to reading books just in case you have a glimmer of spare time). Know your list of things not to forget, perhaps take one with you so you can check you haven't left anything behind when going back home either.
My packing list for this short trip includes:
  • Passport, health card, euros (left over from dublin which should be enough to feed me).
  • Suitcase (obvs), camera bag and handbag of sorts - I usually use a backback or canvas tote.
  • Phone, Camera, portable charger and chargers for all of these.
  • Moisturiser, primer and creams.
  • Glasses, contact lenses and solution.
  • Tooth paste and tooth brush.
  • Shower gel, deodourant and dry shampoo.
  • Make-up, brushes and cleanser.
  • Pyjamas, jeans, tops, jumpers, jackets and coat.
  • Pants, socks and bras.
  • Hat, scarf and gloves.
  • Inhalers and a novel to read, in case I find some extra free time.

And now I best start choosing my clothes and start packing them to avoid last minute rush for the 6am depart, which can only result in forgetting something. I can't wait to see what images I get from this trip and share them with you, do let me know some other must see places in Paris worth photographing.

Cheerio loved ones - Beky x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Labels

recent posts