Story Time #3 : People Watching.

09:52

 
When you're on the bus or the train or even just walking around going about your business and you catch sight of somebody who may look eccentric or glorious or different. Maybe you recognise them from somewhere else or know their name. But you succumb to the act of "people watching". You look at people and you try to figure out their names from the people they are with and decipher their life story. You judge them by their god awful eyebrow doodling or their clothes or their behaviour and you make up an opinion on them before you realise: "I can't think that, I don't know them".

I never let myself say or even think an opinion on someone that I don't know well. If I don't know them well then what puts me an the position where it's okay to reason why I don't like that person. So I cut those thoughts from my mind and continue on my way, watching other people being unique in the world.

There's a few little families that I see on the bus everyday, and there are days when I don't see them that I wonder where they are and what they may be up to that morning. That's a little bit weird I know but it's oddly entertaining to dip in and out of these peoples lives as a frequent stranger on the bus. And there we are, a group of people who do the same things every day together, without knowing each other. Co-existing. With headphones and books and daydreams and conversations that everyone else on the bus has to delight in hearing so clearly at unnecessarily loud volumes.

We all see a mix of people. Odd ones and pretty ones and fashionable ones and ones that probably couldn't care less. And you realize that the world is full of these weirdos, thinking everybody else weirder than themselves. And we just get on with it. We should appreciate each other more. Give a homeless person half your sandwich from your packet. Stifle the confidence to tell someone their hair looks amazing or their tattoos look incredible. Smile at someone who perhaps looks like they're having a long day or even if they look like they're having a great day or something in between. And even if they don't smile back, smile again at somebody else.

I often find myself staring at people and when they look at me, assuming I'm judging them for their brightly dyed hair or extravagant dressing or tattoos, when I'm just admiring their individuality. I'm much too shy to tell them I like the way they look, which can come across as "so sweet thank you omg" or  "okay.... pervert". There's quite a fine line. So I'll just keep awkwardly smiling for now.


Cheerio loved ones - Beky x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Labels

recent posts