Giving It A Chance...

05:06



Hey there! A merry autumn to you all - I'm so excited for this season, I think it's very aesthetic so I'm looking forward to taking photos in the next couple of months. Not only what but I'll be taking a lot of photos as I decided to give university a chance! Yep you read right - I know I was dead set on walking away from education forever but it was turning out to be my only option. Jobs within the industry keep requiring people who could drive (which I cannot) or were just too far away from home. I became overwhelmed and teary on results day as I had good results but nothing to do with them. 

My dad received an email from Birmingham City University to tell us there were still places on the course available, and after two days of discussing it with family and friends I was eventually convinced that learning about my hobby will not only let me develop myself as a photographer but interest and engage me greatly - so I decided to give University a chance after all. I went along for an interview and to show my portfolio and it went amazingly, I was super nervous about comingg across nervous but somehow my passion gave me confidence and they gave me an offer. 

This week was my first week - I was in everyday for welcome sessions and general information about how the university is run, as well as a mini project to give us a little taste. As much of the week was sitting and listening to information, my conversations and friend making is lacking and I feel quite lonely, more so now my friends from sixth form have dispersed onto their own paths. 

I'm struggling with the loneliness a lot now, as well as wondering what my mom would say to me about my descision, but me being me I'm keeping it bottled and trying to march on as the motivation for learning about photography history, theories and concepts keeps me going. Even simply being in a room full of people who appreciate the topic is new and comforting, although I am a little ashamed seeing such incredible work from my peers and hearing them identify famous photographers who I know nothing about as I haven't formally studied photography before. 

Despite the current lack of friends, inevertable stress, regret and breakdowns, I am hopeful that my passion will keep me on the course until graduation - I'm so eager to wear the cap and gown I don't even know why! My thirst for knowledge about photography after I've fallen in love with it motivates me, so whatever you've found yourself doing even if (like me) you're not even all that keen on being there or don't know where you're headed afterwards, find your motivation whatever it may be and keep a death grip on it so you don't let go. March on through and hopefully the world will be your oyster once you've accomplished this "thing", whether it's university, college, a temporary job/work experience or something else. I have hope that my fantastic readers can achieve such greatness :)


Cheerio loved ones - Beky x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Labels

recent posts