Spontaneous Canal Walk

03:51

Aloha my good people and look - my sanity has been somewhat restored! I woke up Monday morning to a text asking if I wanted to walk along the canal until we reached the pub for lunch. The pub was much further away than we all expected but the journey was all the more full of chatter and banter. And it was an added bonus I took my camera with me although I simply left it on a standard lens with an aperture priority setting as I wouldn't be standing very still.


Taking pictures along a canal always looks better in my head than reality. Most of the boats seem to be tied up on the opposite side of the bank so I can never be close enough to get detail shots of the paint work or rope knots. Also the impending fear of falling in the water with all my equipment limits how adventurous I want to be when taking photos of the canal.

I remember thinking at one point along the walk "these are the people I love" and I felt a quick burst of appreciation for my friends, including the ones that weren't by the canal that day but I still love all the same - before I was taken back in by their on-going banter.

Along the path we saw a man feeding bread to this cluster of ducks, he joked to me that I "didn't ask them to smile" which was very friendly. 
Then, further along I spotted these adorable ducklings. There were quite a few of them but I loved this shot of three with the mother watching over her babies as they picked for food.
My friends then brought this vibrant blue dragonfly to my attention and practically held their breaths while I took a quick snap of it before it flew off. I'd have loved to get closer to him to really capture his colouring but he hit it and quit it.
I really don't know why but whenever I see these - power towers (I just thought of that, that's actually a great name for them I'll start using that) I always want to get closer and take photos of them. I took a couple angles of this one right next to the canal but I loved this zoomed in one the most. Maybe it's just the crazy arrangement of metal that I'm so interested by, we may never truly know.
Tip toes!!
 It's so interesting to see how different places connect. How the canal starts by my friends house and leads all the way to Stratford Upon Avon, going past a pub I once visited as a kid and standing on top of a bridge (this bridge above) I've only ever driven under before. Along our unexpectedly long route we came across a very wet and muddy patch which was such a struggle we decided to get the bus home from the pub. I was pushed to the front of the line, not so fun when you're wearing white shoes but it's made up for when you turn back and watch your friends slipping and sliding over each other or being frozen in fear of falling and becoming a mud monster. Unfourtunately the photos I took of this event weren't very flattering so I shall save my friends their dignity - it did make me cackle though! (8 shoes were harmed in the making)

I managed to sneak in this arty shot, which I really love because you can see all 3 of my friends framed by the unique texture and graffiti of the bridge wall. It was all very candid and I just let my friends meander along and enjoy themselves while I often delayed along the way to take a shot and did that awkward half jog to catch up again.

And breathe... I really do feel writing a photography based blog post is much easier and I'm glad to have had some quality time with the ol'Sony. I'm eager to get back in the studio too so as ever, expect more photography blog posts in the near future and let me know your favourites from this blog post.


Cheerio loved ones - Beky x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Labels

recent posts