Missing My Mom

02:51


Aloha good people how are you all today? Firstly, good luck to those of you who have exams approaching or any event in which you need luck. I have my written exams within the next month and I've been wishing for my mom to hold me and reassure me of her belief in me to do well. Don't worry, I'll try not to make this one so emotional...

I had a maths exam in year 9 to ensure I would get a passing grade by the time my real exams came around in year 11. Maths has and always will be my weakness, I practically shut down at the sight of a number! Anyway I distinctly remember that  results day, going with my brother who was getting his year 11 grades and our mom. She sat outside on the bench by the school gate and we brought our envelopes out to her. She had a massive smile that day.

And now whenever I study I think about how many times she might repeat the words "well done" like that day back in 2012(? Again maths, I may have counted that wrong). I've also put a LOT of pressure on myself as she, and my grandad, call me the "brains of the family" as I've done the best academically. I remember when we got back home and we were discussing Alex's grades, she said she was so proud because he got what she expected of him, if not better. Then I asked her what she wanted me to get when I got to his age and she said "straight As".

I know she'd probably tell me one or two Bs is just as good but she can't, so I'm left with the last message and I've put it into my head that I will fail her if I don't get three A's on a row on my last results day. Nonetheless I still work very hard, too hard my dad sometimes says, and I strive to make her and my whole family proud. I only wish with all my heart she would also drag me away from revising to slow me down before I lose the plot.

Growing up is hard, taking exams to get a job and be you own person in your own house with all those "responsibilities". It all sounds much easier than it really is. I just need my mom to help slow things down a bit and let me curl up in a ball by her side like a child or soothe me when growing up get too much.

Well would you look at that it did get a bit emotional. The moral of this story is try not to push too hard, if you know in your heart you can achieve great things, tell yourself that is enough. Even when your memory fails you in an exam and it doesn't show your true potential, don't let that defeat you. And as ever, hug your parents and let them know you love them.


Cheerio loved ones - Beky X 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Labels

recent posts