The Wall Of Fame

15:14

Well hello everybody and how are you this fine Saturday. I've had a busy day myself, hence such a late post. Last night I was wondering what I could possibly write about for this weeks blog post and as I laid in bed looking up at my wall I thought, why don't I show you lovely lot my photo wall. It's pretty darn clear by now that BekLouKat likey the photographs, so to maintain this reputation I shall continue showing you my photos - hahaa! I do hope you enjoy - as always let me know your faves.

I thought I'd try something a little new with this post and go all black and white on you, to get deep I figured since this post is more about the story behind the pictures and not the image itself, the colours didn't matter as much. Black and white photography - I feel - allows you to focus on the moment and memory captured rather than the "prettiness" of it. Anywho lets get to it...

When my room was decorated many a year ago, my parents painted the walls white with pink flowers dotted around, however this wall only has a heart in the middle of it, about eye level. I think it was my dad who added this heart and he said he put it there to remind me that I am loved, and to see it inbetween photos is much better than hidden behind posters.
I first made my photo wall last June with about 30 or so photos, now I have something closer to 100. I saw loads of different ways to do this on Pinterest and it got to the point where I just had to have my own as I was getting more and more into photography and loving how insane photos were - they capture a real moment in time forever! The only wall I have in my room without shelves or a window I named "the wall of fame" as it was once smothered with posters of my favourite famous faces. It came to the point that the wall needed to hit puberty with me so I took down the posters and stashed them in a cupboard and hung up string and pegged up my most treasured photos to have a more grown up and classy room like all those Pinterest posts.


For all you English lot as I'm not sure about the rest of the world, you can get twine/string and pegs from almost any good stationary or homeware shop. I've seen bits and pieces in Poundland, Wilko, Homebase and WH Smith. In Wilko I even found a small packet with mini pegs like the ones pictured above - which are cute to go with those smaller polaroid photos if you're lucky enough to own one of those beautiful cameras. I attached my string to older hooks already on my wall where other frames had once hung as well as blutack because I am ever so classy. However a friend of mine who also has a photo wall of her own used some self adhesive wall hooks, which could be found in Staples or shops like that.

You can assemble the string however you like, mismatched all over the wall so it's covered completely covered like mine - or something more neat and symmetrical like how my friend has done hers. Or even - now here's a cool idea - use fairy lights instead of string! However you lay it out, be sure to make the string tight across the hooks, it will sag and loop down as you peg up the photos.

When Gemma came to visit and I even kept the car park ticket when we went to meet her at the airport. And when my brother and I first saw our favourite band live.
I print my photos at Boots because I find it quick and easy and they have decent prints, I simply want something physical of what I already have on my phone or camera, so I can see my most favourite images and memories every day as I lay in bed, facing this beautiful wall of fame. I'd love to take a day to find the dates for when each photo was taken and write it on the back for when I'm old and forgetful, but for now these memories are prominent and clear in my head and I could tell you detail for each one!

Me and my fam-a-lam on a beach in the Isle Of Wight, unknown to us - our last family holiday. My brother, our mom's mom and me at my 18th birthday party. And a very old photo I found of me and my brother on our old sofa, It's very blurred but trust me, we were very cute toddlers.

Me (and my bro) with my dad's parents on holiday in the Isle Of Wight 2013.
 Photos of Family is essential isn't it - unless you don't have a good relationship with them which is understandable. Nonetheless I think if my grandparents ever came into my room again (they only ever tackle the stairs to pee, they're getting old bless them) they'd feel honoured or pleased they made it onto my wall of fame, and know that I'm always thinking of them and they have a special place in my heart, no matter how bonkers they get!

 "da siblinz", (myself, Alex my real brother and Katie and Amy/Chummy Bates who we've known our whole lives - great gals) saying an elegant "fuck you" to cancer at our charity quiz night for Pancreatic Cancer UK.

My friends (minus two) from sixth form at my 18th birthday party.
And of course photos of your bestest friends, who keep you smiling on any day that you are in their presence, to hold the memories of a good moment filled with laughter and absolute silliness amongst all the bad - as long as it has taken me to find true friends, these pictures remind me that I don't have to look any further.

A ticket to my first ever concert that my mom accompanied me to, featuring confetti from a different time I saw the same band but both memories I am grateful my mom took me to.
Peg up tickets from various events like concerts or meet and greets, I have a couple of Waterstones wristbands alongside photos from book signings (Louise and Joe in case you were wondering).

This is probably THE photo that triggered my whole photography journey. At a National Trust place one day I was most bored so mom handed me her pink digital camera and asked me to take pretty photos of various things. In the gardens she said to me "I'd like a photo of these flowers here, can you do that for me?" and told me to think about a different angle to make the photo much more interesting. On this sunny day I spotted bees busy pollinating the flowers and spotted one close by on a bright red flower, so, I quickly crouched to get a nice close up shot and this is what I got. Mom loved it so much she printed it and framed it in the lounge. Years later I printed another copy to peg up on my wall as a reminder of this story and how impressed my mom was with the photos I took and how eagerly she wanted to print this one to show people in her home. She comically named the photo "Boo's Bee" as my nickname my parents gave me from a young age is "Boo" and the similar "boobie" - that's just our sense of humour.

Sunset on mom's favourite beach - Oxwich Bay in Wales on our first holiday without her. Black and white simply would not do this justice. Me, dad and Alex were walking right out to the low tide when I turned back to look at how far we had walked and I was so amazed at the view I snapped this on my phone and it's so gorgeous,  I adore everything about this photo.
 I like to have a few of my own photographs on my wall, for sentimental value in the story behind it and encouragement to never give up on myself as a photographer because I am good at it, and the proof is right in front of me, every day.

The friend I mentioned before sneakily asked me for "photos that make me happy" for a school project but really she printed them off, polaroid style for my birthday. I sent her photos of people that make me happy, youtubers, actors, musicians because I idolise them for chasing their dreams and passions and making success out of their hobbies.
 On the opposite wall below my book shelves I made another small row of photos just for polaroids, to spice up the other side of my room a bit, and to have somewhere more special to put the smaller and different style of print. I love polaroid's because I feel like they date back forever and have such a unique and iconic style. Also this small photo wall is totally not a hint to my dad that I'd make use of polaroid photos by having somewhere to display them if I ever were to have a polaroid camera ;)


I like having my photos mismatched and interwoven together, jumbled up and positioned at any angle because they're all part of me and my memories - and I feel like it allows my creativity to shine through when I can whack a photo anywhere. I for one don't file my memories in strategic parts of my brain, they're jumbled up and floating around, waiting for me to reminisce over them again, just like the photos. My favourite thing about photos is how they're like magic, holding a memory from real life on paper - it boggles my mind and I could spend forever appreciating photographs.

I'd LOVE to see your photo walls if you have one, or if this has inspired you to make one for the first time. Do direct me to any posts like this from other bloggers, and let me know what your favourite photo/story of mine is, I always love to hear thoughts on my posts - I like the idea that I have something profound and thought provoking to say :) and as Debbie says, another "blog from the heart" done, I hope you enjoyed.


Cheerio loved ones - Beky x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Labels

recent posts